Detox: The Cabbage Cleanse SoupCourse: Lunch, Dinner
If you haven’t been sent a viral soup recipe from your friend, sister, mom or neighbor, well, here you go! Long known as a food that is a natural anti inflammatory to the body, just one cup of cabbage is also filled with nutrition such as protein, fiber, calcium, vitamins C,B6,K, folate, potassium and magnesium and packed with antioxidants. Low in calories, this leafy vegetable is a natural diuretic and has long been used for improving digestion. If that hasn’t convinced you to include cabbage into your diet, maybe this mouthwatering, healthy and filling recipe will.
People not only swear by it to help “detox” your system, but replacing your dinner 5 nights in a row with a bowl full of this leafy goodness, will likely leave you feeling refreshed and lighter on your feet. As there are many different cabbage soup cleanse recipes, we’ve chosen to include Myka’s take on this pre-summer soup recipe to try, swoon and pass onto all your BFFs. Enjoy!
Cabbage – 1 ½ cups, chopped (or roughly ½ of a small head of green cabbage)
Onion – 1 chopped
Celery – 2 sticks, diced
Carrots – 2 carrots, chopped into half moons
Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon, extra virgin olive
Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
Red or Orange Bell Pepper – 1 pepper, chopped into bite sized squares
Salt – 1.5- 2 teaspoons
Vegetable Stock – 7 cups
Lemon – The juice of half a medium, ripe lemon
Dried Basil – 1 teaspoon of dried basil
Dried Oregano- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
Red Chilli Flakes – 1 teaspoon (1.5 teaspoons if you like it spicy)
Paprika- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric- 1 teaspoon
- Saute the onion and ginger in olive oil. Once medium softness, add garlic. Continuously mix as the garlic is sautéed or it will burn.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable stock. Add cabbage, celery and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining 6.5 cups of vegetable stock. Stir in the chopped bell pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, chilli flakes, 1.5 teaspoons salt, paprika, turmeric. Cook 5 more minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add lemon. Taste. If needed, add remaining .5 teaspoon of salt. Turn off heat and let the soup cool to a warm temperature to eat.