Picture this: You’ve booked a luxurious spa day to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but you arrive only to find that you’re the spa’s equivalent of a deer caught in the headlights. Fear not, for we’ve got you covered with these seven essential tips for spa etiquette. Let’s make sure you glide through your spa experience with grace, leaving behind the awkward moments and embracing pure relaxation!
Arrive on Time (or Early!): Spa treatments often begin with paperwork and consultations, so arriving on time or even 15 minutes early is crucial. This allows you to complete any necessary forms, discuss your preferences with the therapist, and transition into your pampering experience smoothly.
- Leave Shoes Behind:When you enter the spa, the first rule to remember is simple: no “street shoes” in the spa area (outside of the lobby) or on the therapy beds! Those plush, pristine beds are meant for your relaxation, not your muddy sneakers. Instead, the spa will likely provide you with a robe and pair of indoor shoes (from soft slip-ons to flip-flops) to allow you to change into and unwind.
- Always Shower Before Taking the Plunge:Often spas offer plunge or lap pools you can go into before or after your treatments. Before dipping your toes into the pool however, don’t forget to hit the showers! It’s not just about common courtesy; it’s also a matter of hygiene. A quick pre-swim shower helps keep the pool water clean and inviting for everyone. Plus, it’s a refreshing way to prepare for your aquatic adventure.
- Respect the Privacy of Others:Locker rooms are a haven for spa-goers to prepare for treatments. Please remember to be discreet and respectful of others’ privacy by refraining from filming, taking photos (not even a quick selfie!) or chatting loudly on your phone. Remember, it’s a shared space for relaxation and rejuvenation and usually a technology-free experience.
- Dress the Part: Dressing appropriately for your treatment is essential. Be prepared to take off all jewelry in the therapy room, pending the treatment you have chosen. If you’re getting a massage, undress to your comfort level, typically leaving underwear on (or putting on the underwear provided to you) and then putting the robe (provided to you) over your undergarments. For facials, it’s best to arrive makeup-free. And if you’re having a body scrub or wrap, swimsuits or strapless undergarments are recommended. Proper attire ensures your therapist can perform their magic effectively. Note that in most Western countries, you should not be naked in any therapy room or pool, and instead wear undergarments.
- Say Goodbye to Your Phone:Once you enter the treatment room, it’s time to bid farewell to your phone. Switch it off or set it to vibrate (or silent mode), or even leave it safely in your locker. Spa time is your time for relaxation and rejuvenation, and your fellow spa-goers will appreciate the peaceful atmosphere.
- Enjoy the Silence: Last but not least, embrace the serenity of the spa. While treatments are underway, maintain a peaceful atmosphere by refraining from conversation. Close your eyes, take deep breaths, and let the therapists work their magic. It’s your opportunity to disconnect from the outside world and immerse yourself in tranquility.
Pro Tip: Pending the country or culture you are in, it may be customary to leave your therapist a tip. In the United States, 15-20% is customary, and in the United Kingdom 10-15% is customary.
Now that you’ve mastered the art of spa etiquette, you’re ready to embark on a journey of ultimate relaxation and self-care. By following these tips, you’ll not only ensure a seamless spa experience for yourself but also contribute to the peaceful and harmonious atmosphere for all spa-goers. So, slip off those shoes, shower before you swim, and embrace the serenity of the spa – it’s time to enjoy your well-deserved pampering!
Click here to watch a few spa etiquette tips!